Joined: 01 Jul 2019
|How to Paint Your Own Furniture
Posted On : Dec-09-2014 | seen (390) times | Article Word Count : 418 |
Are you looking to give your old furniture a face lift? With these tips , you can save money by breathing life into furniture you already have! Painting your own furniture not only saves you quite a bit of money, but you can thoroughly customize its look and feel to match any room in your home. You can get started by gathering a few essentials. Make sure you have painter's tape, latex primer, 220 grit sandpaper , oil-based paints, and paint brushes on hand.
1. Prepare the furniture. If the piece has drawers, remove them all and set them aside. Mark each separate part with a specific number to remember where each goes. If the furniture has hardware, remove all of it and store in a safe place , such as a jar or bag.
2. Begin sanding. Be sure to lightly sand every surface of the piece of furniture. Regardless of the age of the furniture, sanding is mandatory. Brush off any excess dust when you're finished.
3. Evenly prime the piece and allow it to dry. For hardwaremetal that is attached to the furniture, mask it using the painter's tape. Lay a tarp down on a workbench or counter, and rest the piece on it so that it can dry. Make sure the piece is arranged on the tarp in such a way that it's easy to work above.
4. Sand again. Once the primer has dried , it's possible that wood fibers or dust have remained.
5. Paint from top to bottom. It's important to always paint in a downward direction in order to cover any drips on the bottom with the final layer of paint. If you want a marble effect for your piece, lightly pounce the brush on the surface to create a mottled appearance. Always use darker colors for initial coats of paint when going for a marble effect. As you add more layers, use lighter colors to create a blend between the colors.
6. Create veins in the marble look. Using a small paintbrush, drag small , black streaks through the mottled paint to imitate veins.
7. Stroke from side to side. When painting your furniture piece, always glide your brush from side to side as you work downwards, rather than in a vertical fashion. This will prevent bleeding, and you'll have a much better chance at a solid appearance once the piece dries.
8. Continue applying paint coats. If the color isn't solid , you will need to keep applying layers of paint. Once you're finished, allow the paint to dry. Replace all the removed hardware and slide the drawers back in.
Hiring a Maid Service - Five Things To Know Before You Commit Home Repair Articles | January 31, 2012
Hiring a maid service seems like a luxury to many, but one look at the prices convinces many people that it isn't as out of their range as they may have previously thought. Before you commit to hiring anyone , however, here are the five things you should know.
There's nothing quite like the feeling of coming home to a sparkling clean house that you had nothing to do with cleaning. Hiring a maid service seems like a luxury to many, but one look at the prices convinces many people that it isn't as out of their range as they may have previously thought. But there are important considerations to be had if you are going to invite people into your home, even through a trusted company. Before you commit to hiring anyone , here are the five things you should know.
If you're going to let a maid service into your home, you should at least know if it will be the same people each time. This isn't for security purposes so much as it is for preference purposes. You should be allowed to collaborate with the cleaners to some degree, making them understand how you like your home to be cleaned. This will become needlessly difficult if you're dealing with a different group every week.
There's no reason to hire a professional maid service that doesn't carry liability insurance. If they don't, and an accident happens on your property , you could very well be held liable in court. You may think this kind of thing is far-fetched, but it happens all the time. If a worker is injured, you want to make sure you are covered and don't find yourself at the end of a lawsuit.
This is very important and one of the biggest advantages of contracting with a company as opposed to just hiring a girl with an ad in the classifieds. The company does the background check for you and makes certain that they aren't sending criminals into your home. Is a background check and a **** test going to provide you with 100% protection against nefarious activity? No, but it can reduce your chances considerably.